st: first xtmixed question

From   David Airey <>
Subject   st: first xtmixed question
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:08:40 -0500

Actually, this is not so much about xtmixed but Mata. There is some discussion of Mata and speed recently. I saw one posting from Vince Wiggins of Stata Corp. suggesting a 2000 fold improvement relative to .ado code when multiplying matrices. What is the performance loss of a program like xtmixed coded by .ado (if there ever was such a thing during development), and coded as it is, and how does it now fair compared to SAS Proc Mixed, SPSS Mixed, or R LME in terms of speed? I'm assuming speed is comparable across these packages. This is not an important question to answer, just curious.
David C. Airey, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Department of Pharmacology
8148-A Medical Research Building Three