st: RE: Generating a new variable

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: Generating a new variable
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2005 18:58:50 +0100

First, please don't send mailjunk like .vcf
to the list. This request is prominent in
the FAQ and often repeated.

If your sex variable is a string you need
something like

egen pfemale = mean(sex == "F") , by(Tract)

as

sex == "F"

evaluates as 0 or 1.

If some of your sex values are "Male"