Re: st: Version 3 Question

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Version 3 Question
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:24:19 -0400

To Thomas Bohon:

As Nick pointed out, it is time for an upgrade. I would agree, adding that so much has improved since version 3 that it is unwise to continue with it. (Note, that I, too, held onto Stata 3 for a long time.)

If your computer is also as old as your Stata, it, too, may be in need of an upgrade, in order for today's Stata to run on it. That depends on what OS you run.

But if you are still continuing with version 3, I can give you two out of the three volumes of the manuals. One of them (Volume 1) disappeared several years ago.

-- David

Bohon, Thomas G wrote:

Yes, I know it's really old ... but I own it and my boss won't pay for an upgrade so I'm using it until I can convince him that I really, REALLY need Stata 9 ...

Anyway, had a computer crash and am having to reinstall everything. Don't remember for certain how to install this plus my reference manuals seem to have quietly walked away from my office so I can't look it up.

Does anyone recall what the trick is to install the system from diskette? By chance does anyone have a set of version 3 manuals that they'd be willing to sell me to replace the ones I've "lost"?

----

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University