st: RE: foreach and globals and {.}

From   "David Harrison" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: foreach and globals and {.}
Date   Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:11:47 +0100

foreach x of global out_`year' {

-----Original Message-----
From: Hans J. Baumgartner []
Sent: 11 April 2005 10:56
Subject: st: foreach and globals and {.}

Dear statalist,

has anybody an idea how to solve the following problem?

foreach x in ${out_`year’} {
	do something

That is: I have several globals and I need the braces to tell Stata that
the local `year’ actually belongs to the global name.

Now I would like to run a loop over all elements in the global

But the foreach command gets puzzled with the braces around the global,
since it thinks that this means to start the loop. And this returns an
error that a code follows on the same line as open braces.

How can I separate these braces?

Hans J. Baumgartner DIW Berlin
German Institute for Economic Research
Dept. Public Economics
Königin-Luise-Str. 5; 14195 Berlin; Germany
Tel.: +49/30/89789-307
Fax.: +49/30/89789-114