Re: st: foreach and globals and {.}

From   Ulrich Kohler <>
Subject   Re: st: foreach and globals and {.}
Date   Mon, 11 Apr 2005 13:04:05 +0200

Hans J. Baumgartner wrote:
> Dear statalist,
> has anybody an idea how to solve the following problem?
> foreach x in ${out_`year’} {
> 	do something
> }
> That is: I have several globals and I need the braces to tell Stata that
> the local `year’ actually belongs to the global name.
> Now I would like to run a loop over all elements in the global
> ${out_`year’}.
> But the foreach command gets puzzled with the braces around the global,
> since it thinks that this means to start the loop. And this returns an
> error that a code follows on the same line as open braces.

I don't understand why you need the braces in ${out_`year'}. If  $out_`year'
is a string, consisting out of several elements,

foreach x in $out_`year' {
	do something

would be fine. If $out_`year' refers to a single element, which changes
according to `year' within a loop, I cannot see why you start a loop at all.

(I must admit that I have never seen something like ${out_`year'}, and I was
kind of surprised that

. global x "test"

works. Can anybody tell me what that means?)

+49 (030) 25491-361