RE: st: Question about Stata 9 licence

From   "Joly, Patrick: IAB" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Question about Stata 9 licence
Date   Thu, 7 Apr 2005 09:58:54 -0400

Alan Riley ([email protected]) wrote
> The normal platform change charge is $50 (for something like a
> change from Windows to Macintosh), but for a move from 32-bit
> Windows to 64-bit Windows or a move from 32-bit Linux to 64-bit
> Linux, the cost is $25

and I wrote
> suppose you have a dual-boot system such as a laptop running
> both Win32 and Linux, is there an option or license package
> that would allow the user to run Stata under both OSs?

Any response from StataCorp?  I posted to the list rather than requesting a private quote since I thought other Linux users might be interested in what StataCorp policy is in this respect.

I was told by a sales rep a month or two ago that there was an additional fee or licence option (for single-user licences) that would allow one to use Stata under both operating systems -- provided only one instance of Stata is used at any time.

Thanks to Neil Shephard for his suggestion of using the Wine emulator.  However, Wine apparently consumes a lot of RAM and CPU speed which makes this option less practical for older portables like my 800MHz 256MB system.

Patrick