st: RE: dividing a data set into estimation and validation sets

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: dividing a data set into estimation and validation sets
Date   Sun, 3 Apr 2005 15:54:28 +0100

I don't think you need any section
of the manual as support here, but
FWIW Stata's -sample- doesn't do this.

The unofficial -swor- (-search swor-)
will do it.

But best of all is to think from first
principles. Suppose we decide on
a validation sample of 500: then we
should be explicit about a random
number seed for reproducibility.
Your seed choice may naturally differ,
but here's one

set seed 280352

Then we pick some random numbers
and shuffle:

gen random = uniform()
sort random

The first whatever observations
are one sample:

gen byte validation = _n <= 500

Your validation sample has
-validation- 1 and the other sample has
validation 0. Subsequent analyses
can be done

... if validation
... if !validation

Having written that down, I now
remember that this is already an FAQ:

How can I take random samples from an existing dataset?
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/sampling.html

Richard Hiscock