RE: st: comparison between a repeated ordinal measures

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: comparison between a repeated ordinal measures
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:55:10 +0100

Because -update- only updates _official_ Stata
files, as its help indicates.

With a nod to Dante, here are the circles of Stata.
This is knowingly simplified a little!

0. 	the executable (proprietary C code)

	inscrutable
	"those who know do not say; those who say do
	not know" (Tao Te Ching)

	written by: StataCorp (Bill Gould and developers)
	maintained by: StataCorp

	upgraded by: money
	updated by: -update-

	StataCorp offer tech support: YES if you hold licence to
		present or previous version

	information on: -search-, -help-

1. 	official ado files, help files, other text files

	scrutable (use your text editor, but do NOT change)

	written by: StataCorp (may include material originally user-written)
	maintained by: StataCorp

	upgraded by: money
	updated by: -update-

	StataCorp offer tech support: as above

	information on: -search-, -help-

2.    user-written ado files, help files, other text files
	that were published in the STB or SJ

	scrutable (use your text editor, change at your peril)

	written by: original authors
	maintained by: authors (if alive and active); gurus (possibly)

	upgraded by: love(*)
	updated by: deliberate download from Stata website (start
		with -search-)

	StataCorp offer tech support: NO

	information on: -search-, -help- (iff installed)

3. 	user-written ado files, help files, other text files
	available from SSC

	scrutable (use your text editor, change at your peril)

	written by: original authors
	maintained by: authors (if alive and active); gurus (possibly)

	upgraded by: love(*)
	updated by: deliberate download from SSC website using -ssc-
		(or using browser if -ssc- impossible)

	StataCorp offer tech support: NO

	information on: -findit-, -help- (iff installed)

4.    user-written ado files, help files, other text files
	otherwise in public domain

	scrutable (use your text editor, change at your peril)

	written by: original authors
	maintained by: authors (if alive and active); gurus (possibly)

	upgraded by: love(*)
	updated by: download from within Stata using -net-
		(or use browser if that impossible)

	StataCorp offer tech support: NO

	information on: -findit-, -help- (iff installed)

5.    your own programs

	you decide!

(*) There are a few people who offer Stata consultancy.
Occasionally people have advertised that they sell copies
of their Stata programs.