Re: st: about sums

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: about sums
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:27:57 -0500

If I understand what is sought, -fsum- or -tabstat- may return what you want.
For example,
tabstat x y, stat(sum) col(stat)
where x & y constitute the varlist (I don't believe there is a limit on the number of
variables).  Type -findit tabstat- for more detail.
As for -fsum-, this is general syntax:
fsum x y, stat(sum)
Again, type -findit fsum- in the command window for a more detailed explanation.
hope this helps,
Clint

On 31 Mar 2005 at 11:14, Rodrigo Briceno wrote:

> Dear statalisters. I was reviewing the manuals and FAQs and I didn't
> find a solution for my need. I have a file with 42 variables and 1
> million observations, and I would like to have the sum of the values
> for each variable in the same table. Let's say:
>
> Variable	sum
> X		200
> Y		300
> Z		2000
> ZZ		5000, etc.
>
> What can I use in Stata 8 for that purpose? Summarize has some
> statistics, but no sum of variables seem to appear.
>
> Thanks
>
> _____________________________
> Rodrigo Brice�o
> Consultant
> Sanigest International
> San Jos�, Costa Rica
> Telf. (506) 291-1200
> Fax. (506) 232-0830
> Cell (506) 357-4535
> www.sanigest.com
> _____________________________

Clinton J. Thompson
Econometrica, Inc.
4416 East-West Highway, Suite 215
Bethesda, MD  20814
Phone: 240-333-4803
Fax: 301-657-3140
www.EconometricaInc.com

and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer.