st: re: r(2000) no obs

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: r(2000) no obs
Date   Thu, 31 Mar 2005 07:13:01 -0500

Louis said

I get a "no observations" error message -r(2000)- when I execute a do file,
and I'm having difficulty determining what's going wrong. According to the
error message, I "have requested some statistical calculation and there are
no observations on which to perform it. Perhaps you specified if exp or in
range and inadvertently filtered all the data." I don't understand what is
meant by "filtered all the data". The line that generates the error message
regress lnW `varlist' if migst1==0
To check whether there are actually no observations, I gave the following
command (and had the shown output):
count if migst1==0 & !mi(`varlist')
Any help will be appreciated.

Well, the regression will not be feasible unless lnW is non-missing for those cases (or at least some of them...) Include that variable in the not-missing check.

Kit Baum, Boston College Economics

* For searches and help try: