RE: st: RE: Requirement(s) for a match merge

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Requirement(s) for a match merge
Date   Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:46:22 +0100

I see what you are getting at.

-father- is irrelevant to the -merge-. You
can merge on -id- without problems with this
example.

louis boakye-yiadom

> Perhaps an example will clarify my concern. Suppose we have
> the following
> datasets, where -id- (the identifier) represents family code:
> Dataset1
>       id   father
> 1.   1    John
> 2.   2    Peter
> 3.   3    Sam
>
> Dataset2
>      id  child
> 1.  1   Bill
> 2.  2   Joe
> 3.  2   Mary
> 4.  3   Phil
> 5.  3   Sue
> 6.  3   Pat
>
> I was thinking that even though -id- does not uniquely identify each
> observation in dataset 2, the datasets can still be merged
> using -id- as the
> match variable to obtain a result like the following:
>
>      id   father child
> 1.  1    John   Bill
> 2.  2    Peter  Joe
> 3.  2    Peter  Mary
> 4.  3    Sam    Phil
> 5.  3    Sam    Sue
> 6.  3    Sam    Pat
>
> Or is it that this kind of merge is not called match merge? Thanks.

"Nick Cox" <[email protected]>

> >Let's turn this round. If this is not true,
> >how do you expect match merge to work?

louis boakye-yiadom