st: Panel data - time invariant estimation

From   "Sandler Mathews" <>
Subject   st: Panel data - time invariant estimation
Date   Tue, 29 Mar 2005 15:00:37 -0500

Hi all,

I am working with a databse with 18 importing countries, 115 exporting countries and 10 time periods. I am interested in doing panel estimation but since some of the key variables are time-invariants I cannot use the usual methods (xtreg, fe).
I have tried two and three -way dummy variables (for reporting countries, partner countries and time). What do you think of this method? the results i get are quite discouraging.
Alternatively, what would you recommend, IV estimation? Random effects?

On the road to retirement? Check out MSN Life Events for advice on how to get there!

* For searches and help try: