RE: st: Dropping programs

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Dropping programs
Date   Mon, 28 Mar 2005 17:45:20 +0100

-capture program drop- imposes a slight overhead
and should thus be left off the top of any program
you are not currently developing. On the other hand,
you'd be sharp if you noticed a change in Stata's performance.

Conversely, the irritation or confusion possible
given different versions, old and new, is such that
I edit ados using -fedit- from SSC, but modified
so that it uses my favourite editor. This builds in
an automatic -discard- of everything. In machine
terms that's wasteful, but I'm valuing my own time
and stress more highly, as any programmer should.

Jun Xu

> I would guess the function of cap program drop is to prevent
> error while
> doing some live editting. For example while you use do file
> editor (or
> textpad) to write an ado file, if you don't insert a line of
> cap program
> drop at the very beginning, then every time you make a change
> and you want
> to rerun your ado file, it will give your an error message
> because the
> program name is already defined. You can check into the ado
> folders. Some
> ado's have that line, others don't. My guess is that cap
> program drop is
> some leftover for doing live editting (trial and error
> process of writing the ado file).

Richard Williams