st: RE: Makematrix- Possible title of the matrix?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Makematrix- Possible title of the matrix?
Date   Fri, 25 Mar 2005 18:06:09 -0000

Michael Blasnik has already solved the problem,
but the comment on -makematrix-, which is on
SSC, needs to be put into context.

As I understand it, the purpose of -makematrix-
is to make a matrix, and secondarily to display
it. When you -list- (usually -matrix list-)
a matrix you just made, you can specify a
title in the standard way, but that is
transient. It will not be stored with the
matrix, with example.

So in using -makematrix- to create a set
of matrices the issue is how those titles
-- and perhaps other stuff, like the formats
you want to use, and so forth --
could possibly be stored. That is all programmable
in various ways, but the issues would
appear to be:

1. The programmer's time and effort.

2. Documenting yet more options. The syntax
of -makematrix- is already complicated.

3. Creating an obligation on the user
to get them out of wherever they're stored
for whatever they're needed for.

4. Whether this can be done more easily
in other ways.

In this particular case, it seems clear
that the answer to #4 is "Yes", as Michael's
example indicates.