Re: st: Xaxis range

From   Nick Winter <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Xaxis range
Date   Wed, 23 Mar 2005 14:23:43 -0500

This has confused me periodically, too.

The issue is that the range of an axis can be expanded either by explicitly specifying a wider axis (with "xscale( range( ) )") or by specifying axis labels that include numbers outside the range of the data.

By default, twoway defaults to labeling the axes with "about" 5 ticks, the equivalant of

. scatter mpg price , xlabel(#5)

and this will expand the range of the axis to make for round numbers. So you need to specify a narrower set of labels.

. scatter mpg price , xlabel(minmax)

. scatter mpg price , xlabel(2000 7000 15000)

and so on.

--Nick Winter