RE: st: Convergence not achieved in MLE Heckman

From   "Alejandro Lopez-Feldman" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: Convergence not achieved in MLE Heckman
Date   Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:11:03 -0800 (PST)

Dear Maria,

I have also had problems with achieving convergence using Heckman MLE. From
what I understand it is very common to have problems with convergence using
MLE (I think Wooldridge's book argue this), that is why a lot of people
still uses the twostep option. Also, do you have exlcusion restrictions?
Are they 'good'? That might be another reason for your problem.
A couple of references that might be useful are:

Vella, F. (1998). Estimating Models with Sample Selection Bias: A Survey.
The Journal of Human Resources. 33(1): 127-169.

Leung, S.F. and Yu. S. (1996). On the choice between sample selection and
two-part models. Journal of Econometrics. 72: 197-229.

I hope this helps.

Alejandro Lopez-Feldman
Ph.D. Candidate
Agricultural and Resource Economics