st: Back towards Stata please?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Back towards Stata please?
Date   Thu, 17 Mar 2005 22:24:33 -0000

Recently there seem to have been more
questions along these lines

(a) I don't understand this statistical point. Please
explain it to me.

(b) I have model results I can't interpret. Please
help.

(c) I have a project with this aim and these data. What
should I do next?

To posters of such questions
============================

These questions are not banned, but they are
less likely to get answers, or answers that you
would like. Or the answer is often going to be,
frankly, except that this may be whispered
more quietly than you can hear:

(a) Find a textbook or a teacher and do your
own learning, please.

(b) I can't do this not knowing your problem
and your data. This is your responsibility.

(c) So you want to discuss my fee for
doing your thinking for you? Or collaboration
and coauthorship?

In addition, there is an ethos on Statalist.

* Anyone who looks really lost will usually
get some help (unless it is homework).

* Anyone who thinks that Statalist should
do their thinking for them is just trying
to exploit us. Please go away.

* Those who seem to be trying to help
themselves get most support.

In my view, Statalist works best when