RE: st: RE: the "score" command in factor analysis

From   "louis boakye-yiadom" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: RE: the "score" command in factor analysis
Date   Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:29:44 +0000

Many thanks, Nick and Richard. I was simply giving the command "score", without specifying any variable names. One more question ... can you please point me to where I can get information about how "score" generates the estimates of the factors? This is because it appears the factor estimates are not simply linear combinations of the observed variables with the scoring coefficients. Thank you.

Louis

I am not clear what your point is here.

If you are saying that the sentence you
are quoting from the help is abbreviated
as a summary of what -score- does, then
you are correct. But the fact that
the scores are calculated using the
coefficients is not contentious. It could
hardly be otherwise.

The help cannot provide complete documentation
for what a command does. That goes beyond the main
role of a help file, especially for official Stata
command backed up by the manuals and by
literature references.

-score- also follows -pca-, but a similar
point applies.

louis boakye-yiadom