st: (sorry, wrong listser) Question about GEE error term

From   "Bryan W. Griffin" <>
Subject   st: (sorry, wrong listser) Question about GEE error term
Date   Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:47:50 -0500

Sorry folks, I erroneously posted the message below to Stata listserv and intended to send to Multilevel listserv instead. The query below does not include a Stata specific question. (If anyone happens to have a response anyway, please send it to me directly and not to the list -- thanks!)

Hi all --

I have a question about GEE estimates. First, let me specify a model from a generalized linear mixed model perspective, more specifically a logistic regression model with random effects with one within and one between predictor. The within-cluster (or subject-specific) model is:
***stuff cut***

Now my question. What about the second error term, u1j(X1); is this error simply ignored in the GEE framework or is it somehow modeled within the working correlation matrix?
Bryan W. Griffin
Curriculum, Foundations, & Reading
P.O. Box 8144
Georgia Southern University