Re: st: xi:reg command dropping numerous dummies

From   "Hans J. Baumgartner" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: xi:reg command dropping numerous dummies
Date   Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:42:41 +0100

Hi Robert,

time invariant variables cannot be estimated by a fixed effect model. But you seem to estimated a pooled model, i.e. an OLS. In that case I guess that some values of _code_, i.e. those who are dropped, are colinear with either var1 or var2. If this is the case, you could combine some categories of _code_.

Best wishes
Hans

Robert Gaskell schrieb:

Statalist,

I am using the xi:reg to simulate a fixed-effects (xtreg, fe)
regression, so that I am able to use importance weights, in the form:

xi: reg var1 var2 var3 i.code [iweight=var4]

However, I am finding that many of dummies (a little under half) are
being dropped by Stata.  This doesn't impact upon the results that I
am interested in (the coefficients of var2/var3), but I would be
interested to know why this is happening and how it could potentially
be fixed.

Many thanks,

Robert Gaskell

Hans J. Baumgartner DIW Berlin
German Institute for Economic Research
Dept. Public Economics
K�nigin-Luise-Str. 5; 14195 Berlin; Germany
Tel.: +49/30/89789-307
Fax.: +49/30/89789-114
http://www.diw.de
http://www.hansbaumgartner.de