Re: st: Predicted value and dummy explantory variables

From   "Clive Nicholas" <>
Subject   Re: st: Predicted value and dummy explantory variables
Date   Tue, 15 Mar 2005 03:30:55 -0000 (GMT)

Dawat Lidia wrote:

> I am estimating OLS regression model. From this I was trying to estimate
> the
> predicted value holding regressors at their mean value. But I am not clear
> if I can also hold dummy regressors at their means value. Is it
> justifiable
> to put dummy explantory variables at their mean value and obtain the
> predicted value ?

No, it isn't: how can it be? If your dummy variable is gender, how can it
possibly make sense to estimate the effect of being 0.47 of a male on
whatever the response of interest is?

A quick solution to your problem is to pop along to -whelp adjust-. There
you'll find that you can hold your continuous predictor and covariate
variables at their means (if you desire), whilst setting your dummies at 0
or 1 (or both, if you choose to -adjust- twice).

CLIVE NICHOLAS        |t: 0(044)7903 397793
Politics              |e:
Newcastle University  |