st: Name Conflict?

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Name Conflict?
Date   Mon, 14 Mar 2005 09:47:42 -0500

Dear Statalisters,

      I am trying to run a regression which works well for all but 3
specifications.  For these specifications I am getting an error that says "name
conflict."  Looking up information in the error code given reveals that it is
possible that in my matrix post command variable names are not the same in my
rows and columns.  This confuses me since many specifications work.  It is only
for a smaller subsample where the base regression does work.  The error occurs
upon adding one of three control variables previously utilized many times for
other subsamples with no problem at all.  I gather from this that the sample
size is not an issue (since the base regression works and I have just about
complete information for all three control variables being added separately) and
that the control variables are not a problem (since they work well using this
command in other subsamples).  Any idea what I should do?  Looking this up on
the internet only reveals inferences about abbreviated variable names.  I don't
believe this is applicable here since these added variables are the same here as
they are everywhere else in my regressions.  Thanks in advance for any
help/insight provided.

Best,

April M. Knill
Consultant, Finance Research Group