Re: st: Linking parents information

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   Re: st: Linking parents information
Date   Thu, 10 Mar 2005 09:24:59 -0500

At 03:40 PM 3/9/2005 -0500, Sibel Selcuk wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am trying to create variables for parents' education and age based on
parents and kids who live in the same household.  The only question that
relates the individuals' within a household is "the relationship to the
head of household".   Therefore, I have been unable to use the method
described in STATA's FAQs.

Basically, I am trying to create parents education and age variables for
all possible parent child pairs.  The possibilities are:
Head/ spouse +resident parents (grandparents/in laws)
Resident child+ Head/Spouse (mother, father)

I'd appreciate your suggestions and advice on this.  Thank you.

 Best Regards,
I have done similar operations, so your problem looks familiar. But, if you could explain the structure in greater detail, then I/we might better be able to help. Do you have a single dataset, or multiple (such as one for person and one for household)? And where is the education variable found?

As I mentioned, this looks familiar. Is this possibly the Panel Study of Income Dynamics, or the Current Population Survey (U.S. Census) ?

-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University