Re: st: basic question on generating a string variable

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: basic question on generating a string variable
Date   Wed, 09 Mar 2005 13:26:45 -0500

perhaps the function, concat(varlist), located under -egen-??
type -findit egen- for more information...
cheers, clint

On 9 Mar 2005 at 13:20, J Bravo wrote:

> dear all,
>
> i have a data-set with unit- and year- string identifiers -
> respectively, clave2str and year2str.
>
> say that i want to create a new year-unit identifier, say clavestr, so
> that the first two characters of clavestr give me the year (from
> year2str) and the next 5 characters give me the unit (from clave2str)
>
>      | clave2str   year2str |	clavestr
>      |------------------|
> 100. |     1005       97 |	971005
> 101. |     1005       98 |	981005
> 102. |     1005       99 |	991005
> 103. |     1006       80 |	801006
> 104. |     1006       83 |	831006
>      |------------------|
> 105. |     1006       86 |	861006
> 106. |     1006       89 |	891006
>

> any advice?
>
> thanks many.
>
> jb

Clinton J. Thompson
Econometrica, Inc.
4416 East-West Highway, Suite 215
Bethesda, MD  20814
Phone: 240-333-4803
Fax: 301-657-3140
www.EconometricaInc.com

and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action
in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you
received this in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer.