st: twoway function, controlling linepatternstyle

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   Stata Listserve <[email protected]>
Subject   st: twoway function, controlling linepatternstyle
Date   Tue, 8 Mar 2005 15:45:44 -0800 (PST)

I am attempting to graph four different functions on one graph; each
function will have 3 different segments.  I want different segments to
have different linepatternstyles.

I checked the graphics manual and it says there are function_options and
line_options:

"-line_options- are any of the options allowed by graph twoway line; see
[G] graph twoway line."

I went to graph twoway line and it says:

"line_options are . . . any of the options allowed by graph twoway scatter
with exception of marker options, marker_placement_options, and
marker_label_options, which will be ignored if specified.  See {G} graph
twoway scatter."

I went to graph twoway scatter and there, on page 337, under
connect_options, it lists clpattern(linepatternstyle) as an option to
specify whether a line is solid, dashed, etc.

Yet, when I use the cl(linepatternstyle) command in writing the code for
my job, stata says that the option is not available for function graphs.

So . . . I am puzzled.  Any insights on what to do to get control over the
linepatterning in function graphs (with multiple, complex functions) is
greatly appreciated.

PS--I updated stata earlier this morning (around 11AM PST), and the
problem still occurs.

Sam