st: RE: ss# imports as scientific notation

From   "Steichen, Thomas J." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: ss# imports as scientific notation
Date   Mon, 7 Mar 2005 13:38:28 -0500

Robin Newberry wrote:
> For some reason when I was importing a comma delimited dataset into
> Stata it converted all of the SS# info into scientific notation. The
> #'s weren't in standard ss# format (999-99-9999) but unformatted
> (999999999), so the end result was 9.99e+08. Currently the filed is
> in %10.0g format - is there a way to convert these back to a non
> numeric field?

If you imported the SSN into a float then you will not be able to
recover all the digits no matter how you format it. Floats only
hold <8 digits and the SSN's are 9 digits, so the number will be
precision-truncated. Once these digits are lost they cannot be recovered.

You will need to re-import them into a long or a double precision
variable (or a string variable).

Tom

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:  This e-mail message, including any  attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential,  protected by the attorney-
client or other legal privileges, and/or  proprietary non-public
information.  If you are not an intended  recipient of this message or an
authorized assistant to an intended  recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this message and  then delete it from your system.  Use,
dissemination, distribution,  or reproduction of this message and/or any of
its attachments (if  any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and
may be unlawful.