st: RE: RE: RE: RE: yscale/range to plot

From   Nita Forouhi <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: RE: yscale/range to plot
Date   Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:55:39 -0000

Many thanks to both David and Nick for helpful suggestions on this query
about axis scales.

Nita

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Cox [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: 07 March 2005 14:26
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: RE: RE: yscale/range to plot

Stata does not support scale breaks on axes,
although they are occasionally asked for.

You can easily cobble together something
of your own by adding some extra ticks
on either side of the axis, but that is
up to you.

On the broader question, there is discussion
of this in the archives.

There are at least two over-arching issues,
or so it seems to me.

1. As far as the statistical arguments
are concerned, the tacit presumption is that
readers who can cope with a non-zero start to
your axis graph should be able to look at
the axis labels and work out what is being
shown; and if you doubt this of your readers,
you shouldn't do it!

2. As far as Stata is concerned, implementing
scale breaks is a programmer's nightmare given
the weight that _some_ users might then want
to put on them. Suppose users wanted data
points on either side of a scale break. What
is then going to happen to lines supposed to
traverse the whole graph? Or what happens
when such a graph is -combine-d with another?

Being able to say "But I wouldn't want
to do that" doesn't rule out others'
asking the equivalent, if only by accident.

This is not, of course, an official view.

Nita Forouhi