st: Help

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Help
Date   Mon, 07 Mar 2005 09:26:45 GMT

Dear Statalist.

I want to generate a code for the household industry. The household industry is the industry in which the household head is engaged in. However for some households where the industry code is missing for the household head, I want to assign the next non missing industry code as the for the household.

My data looks like this

hhid member indicode
1         1                 1
1          2                 2
1          3                  3
2           1                  .
2            2                 4
2            3                  4
3            1                   .
3            2                   .
3            3                   1

I used the collapse command to get the household industry but do not seem to find a command that can be combined with collapse to pick the first non missing indicode for the household.

Please help.

Fanwell Kenala Bokosi
Department of Economics
Keynes College