Re: st: Re: Recognizing the full length of a macro

From   Phil Schumm <>
Subject   Re: st: Re: Recognizing the full length of a macro
Date   Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:14:17 -0600

At 9:38 AM -0500 3/4/05, Michael Blasnik wrote:
I Agree-- it should be made more clear that all of the "regular" string functions (those used with = ) can/will return incorrect results when used on text strings longer than the maximum allowed string variable length. Perhaps they should just include a line in the help file stating that they are not intended for use on macros.

FWIW, this issue is discussed in [U] 21.3.4 (Section 21.3 being the section on macros). It is also indicated under [R] limits, where the length of a string in a string expression is defined as 80 (244 for Stata/SE). That said, I agree that this is an issue that can bite people, and for this reason a slightly more prominent warning might be warranted.

-- Phil
* For searches and help try: