Re: st: Presenting Stata graphs in Word/PowerPoint doucuments

From   Nick Winter <>
Subject   Re: st: Presenting Stata graphs in Word/PowerPoint doucuments
Date   Thu, 03 Mar 2005 14:55:04 -0500

Not sure what the problem is. There are two basic approaches I use, both of which work well for me and ought to work for you.

(1) For the occasional, one-off graph or two.

Generate the graph in Stata.

Then copy it to the Windows Clipboard (either right-click then select "Copy Graph" OR select Edit-Copy Graph from the menu, OR press Ctrl-C with the Graph Window highlighted)

Then paste the graph in Word (either Edit-Paste or Ctrl-V).

(2) For more than one graph--the Stata side of this can be automated.

Generate the graph in Stata.

Save it to disk in a format Word can handle--either .PNG, .WMF, or .EMF. (Or .eps though then you sometimes can't actually see it in Word, though it will print on a postscript printer). Do this with -graph export-

. graph twoway scatter mpg price
. graph export mpgprice.emf

Then use Insert-Picture-From File in Word to insert the graph.