st: Storing coefficients from a stepwise model

From   Elaine Thomas <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Storing coefficients from a stepwise model
Date   Tue, 01 Mar 2005 12:52:37 +0000

Dear all

I want to perform a stepwise logistic procedure on a number of bootstrapped samples and store the coefficients from each application of the regression in a single file.
I have thus far been able to generate the bootstrapped samples (thanks to David Harrison!) and store the coefficients - however, only if I do not use a stepwise approach to the regression, but simply tell it to fit a model containing a set number of independent variables, say x1 -x5, - this works well. So I get a single new file which contains the coefficients for each cycle, ie

Sample x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
1 0.24 0.35 0.84 0.08 0.75
2 0.22 0.40 0.78 0.12 0.69 ......

The complication in using the sw procedure is that the model derived in each sample may contain anywhere from all to none of the variables offered and when I try to get Stata to store the coefficients for the offered vbls, say x1-x5, I can't get it to store "." for those vbls that are not chosen in that cycle of the procedure

What I want is the same form of file as above but with . or even 0 for those vbls not ending up in the model for that sample, ie.

Sample x1 x2 x3 x4 x5
1 0.24 0 0.84 0.08 0.75
2 0.22 0.40 0.78 0 0.69 ......

Any help would be gratefully received