Re: st: merging data sets using an interaction of demographics

From   Richard Williams <>
Subject   Re: st: merging data sets using an interaction of demographics
Date   Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:11:30 -0500

At 09:40 PM 2/28/2005 -0500, Nola Ogunro wrote:
I have two data sets A and B. I have a variable in B that I can't observe in A however each data set contains common demographics from which I can create a interaction term in each data set (ie age,race,income,state) I can assign unique values to each interaction and merge the two data sets on this interaction therefore getting my varible of interest in set A. My question is that I can't get the number of observations in my merged data set to equal the number of observations in the master data set "A"(ie merge 3 contains more obervations than merge 1)

I have tried the merge many times in addition to using every possible merge command out there, any response would be appreciated
Would the -joinby- command do what you want? If not, perhaps you could give us brief excerpts from the data along with the command(s) you are using.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu