st: Newbie with too many variables

From   Robin Newberry <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Newbie with too many variables
Date   Mon, 28 Feb 2005 15:47:32 -0500

All,

So our worker's comp data are in some clunky old program (which shall remain nameless here). To get it into a program where I can actually do something with the data is a royal pain; it will only export the entire dataset (12 years of data) and only in a comma delimited format at that. And all the fields are enclosed in quotes - even the numeric.

Last time I did this (once a year I go to download only the previous years WC data, only to remember that I can't) I think it took better than a month to manually clean up the data to import using a text editor. I'd really like to avoid that this time; in fact, I think last time I imported it into SAS, cleaned it up there, then sent it to Stata. A real roundabout way to get at my data.

Anyhow, I've set my Stata memory at 1gig and used the command "insheet using "/Users/wnewber/Desktop/EXPORT.TXT", comma" to import it. I get a too many variables message. I forget exactly how many variables this dataset has - I think 200+ (most are empty place holders for fields we don't use).

Any way to get this puppy in to Stata without sacrificing some small, hapless animal to the heathen gods?
--
Robin
W. Robert Newberry, IV CIH, CHMM

[email protected] [email protected]