st: RE: excel to stata / variable names shift to the value row

To   <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   st: RE: excel to stata / variable names shift to the value row
Date   Sun, 27 Feb 2005 17:19:58 -0000

A list of known problems in this area is in

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/newexcel.html

That may explain what is happening to you.

The issue is really upstream of Stata. A program
like Excel is totally indulgent on what precise layout
you may adopt, so there is no reason to expect Stata
to be able to understand all possible layouts.

Nick
n.j.cox@durham.ac.uk

tapes (a.k.a. Tapes)