Re: st: RE: RE: RE: Removing trailing letter from string

From   Ada Ma <>
Subject   Re: st: RE: RE: RE: Removing trailing letter from string
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2005 21:21:47 +0000

There is an All Field Postcode Directory for UK.

However the AFPD is only as up to date as 1999. Some of the valid postcodes are not on AFPD. I have sent and received replies from certain postcodes, and those postcodes are also recognised by the postcode finder, but they are not on the AFPD. In a dataset I collected myself, there are 9 valid postcodes out of 326 that are not on the AFPD.

Nick Cox wrote:

I had in mind an automated check for valid postcodes. Many (but not I think all) British postcodes have the form

Outside Stata many list members will know ways of specifying valid forms, for example through some regular expression syntax.
Seb Buechte

what do you exactly mean. Checking for the validity in terms of  a
code fullfilling the requirements of a certain nations postcodes e.g.
German postcodes contain only 5 digits. Or do you mean checking wether
a specific code does not only look like a postcode but is also a real