st: RE: RE: RE: Removing trailing letter from string

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: RE: Removing trailing letter from string
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:21:52 -0000

Quite so.

This raises an interesting question of
how to check (British or indeed any other)
postcodes. Given various possibilities it
would not be trivial, but I believe Stata provides
all the rudimentary handles.

Nick [home postcode DH1 2NJ]
[email protected]

David Harrison

> Now the discussion has moved onto upper/lower case letters, I
> feel I should point out that my suggestion below strips off
> anything that is not a digit between 0 and 9 - this may or
> may not be beneficial depending on the situation, but in the
> case of valid postcodes it should be irrelevant!

David Harrison