Re:st: RE: Bootstrap table cells

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re:st: RE: Bootstrap table cells
Date   Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:35:44 -0000

Thanks for the reply below Nick - reason behind request below.

I'm actually going to be presenting the results of a treatment flow survey from (say) 1000 real patient records over a two year period. At stage 0 (diagnosis) they could split (say) into 4 different groups. Some may stay on this initial regimen others may switch treatment (ie stage 1 reached) and so on for other further stages. Hence results can be shown in a decision tree layout. This is not a clinical trial just an audit of "normal" records.

I'm supposed to provide confidence intervals for the percent (of the total 1000 records) estimates at each sub branch. The way the records were collected over-represents patients who consult more often. I'm correcting for this bias by weighting the records by the inverse of their consultation frequency.

Bootstrapping to me seems a good (best?) solution. By creating a stage 1 variable which includes a subcategory "still at stage 0", I can use a weighted contingency table of stage0 versus stage1 which will show in one go all stage0 and stage1 combinations. It is actually only the percents (total) I'm interested in modelling.

I envisaged writing code that for each bootstrap sample took the weighted contingency table figures (using matcell() sub command of tabulate) then converted them into percents and it would be this matrix of percents that I would bootstrap.

If anyone can suggest any tips how to do this in Stata I'd be most grateful.

I'd also be interested in hearing if anyone knows if it possible to bootstrap matrices in R or Limdep (although I'd much utilise Stata if possible).

Steve

[email protected]