Re: st: two-way error component model

From   Mark Schaffer <>
To, Svetlana Mira <>
Subject   Re: st: two-way error component model
Date   Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:53:15 +0000 (GMT)

Quoting Svetlana Mira  <>:

> Dear All,
> I have a problem understanding how Stata computes the results for a
> two-way error component model (xi: reg y i.idfirm i.idtime x1) and
> hopefully somebody will be able to help me with this. In the case of
> a fixed effects model, we can obtain the results in Stata either by
> using xtreg, areg or simply based on the demeaned values using
> regress option. Can we apply the last option (demeaning) for the two-
> way error component model? (i.e., can we run a two-way error
> component model based on the mean differences)? If so, what means
> shall we extract?
> For instance, if we run xi: reg y i.idfirm i.idtime x1 the obtained
> results are not equal to the results based on
> regress y x2, where x2=x1-x(meanidfirm)-x(meanidtime)
> Or as suggested by Green (1997)
> regress y x3, where x3=x1-x(meanidfirm)-x(meanidtime) + x(firm-year
> specific mean).

I am pretty sure that if you check Greene, you'll find that this is the
formula for obtaining the 2-way error components estimate for a balanced
panel using mean deviations.  If the panel is unbalanced, the mean-deviation
approach requires calculations that are somewhat more involved.  Baltagi's
book "Econometric Analysis of Panel Data" has a discussion of this.

Hope this helps.

> Does Stata use a specific procedure to run a two-way error component
> model different from the ones mentioned above? Any suggestions or
> comments are more than appreciated.
> Many thanks for your help,
> Svetlana
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *
> *
> *

Prof. Mark Schaffer
Director, CERT
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS
tel +44-131-451-3494 / fax +44-131-451-3294

This message is subject to