st: reading numbes with trailing minus sign

From   David Kantor <>
Subject   st: reading numbes with trailing minus sign
Date   Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:49:20 -0500

Hi everyone.

Suppose I have raw data where minus signs are in a trailing position. Thus, for example, instead of
-12, you have

Is there a direct way to read this? Or is there a program out there to handle it? I can write code to handle it, but I just wonder if there is anything I'm overlooking or if someone already has done it.

-- David

David Kantor
Institute for Policy Studies
Johns Hopkins University