st: Combining duplicate observations rather than deleting them

From   Jake Herb <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Combining duplicate observations rather than deleting them
Date   Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:17:21 -0800 (PST)

Dear Users,
I have duplicate observations in my dataset but rather
than deleting them using "dups" for example, I'd like
to combine them and summarize a certain variable.

For instance, I have:

obs# read race write
1    40   1    30
2    40   1    70

Which are duplicate based on the variables "read" and
"race". I'd like to combine the two observations into
one observation, which sums the "write" variable, so
at the end of the day I have in the dataset:

obs# read race write
1    40   1    100

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jake