Re: st: confidence intervals histograms

From   Roger Newson <>
Subject   Re: st: confidence intervals histograms
Date   Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:19:05 +0000

At 17:59 15/02/2005, Richard Lenhardt wrote:

May I ask if anyone knows if there is an easy way to create graphs with
confidence intervals displayed on top of histogram bars?
Yes. Use the -eclplot- package, downloadable from SSC (using the -ssc- command).

If you have a dataset with 1 observation per confidence interval and data on estimates in the variable -estimate-, confidence limits in variables -min95- and -max95-, and another variable -x- against which the confidence limits must be plotted, then you can type

eclplot estimate min95 max95 x, eplottype(bar)

which should produce a bar chart with the bars equal in height to the estimates and confidence intervals displayed on top of the bars.

If you do not know how to make such a dataset in the first place (with 1 observation per confidence interval), then you should probably use the -parmest- package, also downloadable from SSC, to produce such a dataset from estimation results. A few papers and presentations on the use of -eclplot- and -parmest- can be downloaded from my website (see my signature below), either by using a browser or from within Web-aware Stata by typing

net from

which takes you to my website. My presentation "From datasets to resultssets in Stata", given at the 10th UK Stata User Meeting in 2004, is the most up-to-date work on the subject available there.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Department of Public Health Sciences
King's College London
5th Floor, Capital House
42 Weston Street
London SE1 3QD
United Kingdom

Tel: 020 7848 6648 International +44 20 7848 6648
Fax: 020 7848 6620 International +44 20 7848 6620
or 020 7848 6605 International +44 20 7848 6605

Opinions expressed are those of the author, not the institution.

* For searches and help try: