st: setting global in a loop

From   Ada Ma <>
Subject   st: setting global in a loop
Date   Tue, 15 Feb 2005 12:34:25 +0000

Hello Statalist,

I have a problem. When I run the following program:

foreach i of numlist 3(1)6 {
local j : di char(`i'+96)
global `j'indvars "pid `j'hid";
#delimit cr;

I got an error code r(198) with a comment saying:
"program error: code follows on the same line as open brace"

I am working on the BHPS and I hope that I can draw the same variables out from the various waves using globals combined with a loop. Am I doing anything wrong or is global not allowed in a loop?

Many thanks in advance.

Ada Ma

* For searches and help try: