st: Unwanted pause after -shell- in do-file

From   Friedrich Huebler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Unwanted pause after -shell- in do-file
Date   Mon, 14 Feb 2005 13:04:53 -0800 (PST)

I have Stata 8.2 and Windows XP. When I use -shell- to call a
Stat/Transfer command file from a Stata do-file, I get a pause
lasting two to three seconds. During this pause, an empty blue
command window with the title "C:\WINDOWS\System32\cmd.exe" is
displayed. After the pause, the Stat/Transfer command file is
processed and the DOS window closes. Here is the command that causes
the pause:

shell conversion.stc

The pause occurs most of the time I run the do-file, but not always.
I found that I can avoid the pause if I open the DOS window once
before the Stat/Transfer command file is called. With the following
lines in the do-file, the DOS window opens and disappears
instantaneously and the Stat/Transfer conversion proceeds without
pause.

shell exit
shell conversion.stc

I would appreciate any insights into why Stata behaves this way.

Friedrich