Re: st: Fwd: How to interprete dummy variables used for missing values

From   Daniel Egan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Fwd: How to interprete dummy variables used for missing values
Date   Sat, 12 Feb 2005 00:48:28 -0500

Hi Quang,

> My friend has a panel data in the following format:
>
> Year        Investment
> 1900        . (Missing value)
> 1930        .
> 1960        12
> 1980         .
> 1990        28
> 1991        56
> 1992        35
> 1993        45
> etc.,
>
> Could you please tell me how she can use the dummy variables for this
> exercise (regression)? Also, how she can interprete the coeficients
> for Investment and the dummy variables?

If you are asking how to create indicators for the years that have
missings, simply

gen missdum=0
replace missdum=1 if investment==.

If this is not what you mean, you will need to explain what you want
to do further.