st: How to svyset for the SIPP

From   Stephen Mennemeyer <>
Subject   st: How to svyset for the SIPP
Date   Thu, 10 Feb 2005 17:17:07 -0600

Dear Statalisters:

Can anyone give me some guidance on how to analyze the Survey of Income
and Program Participation ( SIPP), especially the 1996 version, to take
account of the complex sample design?  I have access to both SAS/SUDAAN
and Stata.

Assuming for the moment that I use the svy commands in Stata and that I
want to do longitudinal analysis, I think I want to use the svyset
command  as follows:

svyset wpfinwgt, strata(gvarstr)

where wpfinwgt is the longitudinal weight for individuals and gvarstr is
the "variance stratum code".

I  am confused about whether I can or should do anything with the
options for PSU and FPC.

According to the SIPP Manual  page 8-1:

"The 1996 Panel of the SIPP sample is located in 322 Primary Sampling
Units (PSUs), each
consisting of a county or a group of contiguous counties. Within these
PSUs, living quarters
(LQs) were systematically selected from lists of addresses...."

As far as I can tell, there is no SIPP variable for the PSU. The  PSU
code is scrambled inside the ssuid variable (the household ID number)
but I do not think there is any way to tell which ssuids came from  the
same PSU.

However, from reading the Stata 8 manual  at U [30] p. 346-347 I wonder
if I should use the command:

svyset wpfinwgt, strata(gvarstr) psu(ssuid) fpc(epppnum)

where epppnum is the individual person identifier within the household.

I think this is wrong but my logic here is that the SIPP is sampling
individuals who are "clustered"  in households where every member of the
household is interviewed. I am particularly concerned about the remark
in the Stata Manual U 30.2.2 p. 347 "For example if our PSUs were were
households and we included every member of the household in our study,
then a finite population correction term would be appropriate where the
households are sampled using simple random sampling without replacement
in each stratum"

Guidance would be much appreciated.

Stephen T. Mennemeyer Ph.D.
University of Alabama at Birmingham
School of Public Health
Dept. of Health Care Organization and Policy

U.S. Mail:
1530 3rd Ave. South 330 RPHB
Birmingham, Al 35294-0022

Express Delivery: