RE: st: Heckprob and marginal effects question-Economics audience

From   "jyotsna puri" <>
Subject   RE: st: Heckprob and marginal effects question-Economics audience
Date   Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:33:31 +0000

Dear Lisa,
Read Woolridge (2002). He has special sections on 'Results to report' which will
suit a Economist audience. I believe the typical 'Heckman' type model is covered
in the chapter on 'Selection and Attrition' and he calls the model something else.
(Don't have the book with me.)

Jyotsna (Jo) Puri
Cell and Voicemail: 201-805-1690
Doctoral Candidate, Department of Agriculture and Resource Economics,
University of Maryland, College Park, MD
I ran the Marine Corp Marathon to help educate.

----Original Message Follows----
From: Lisa Gary <>
Subject: st: Heckprob and marginal effects question-Economics audience
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:12:03 -0800 (PST)

I am not that familiar with heckman type models and I
want to know which is the preferred marginal effect to
present in articles especially in economics/ health
economics. With heckprob, you can get marginal effects
with mfx for unconditional/ univariate probabilities
(pmargin) or mfx for conditional probabilities
(pcond). In my case my outcome equation should only
take place in the presence of the selection variable
occurring, does this mean I should use mfx for pcond?
Or should I use the mfx for pmargin since it takes
into consideration the selection effects
automatically?? I have read Greene and STATA reference
all to no avail.
Any help would be appreciated.
Public Health

Do you Yahoo!?