st: converting a string variable that has leading and embedded blanks to a numeric variable.

From   Ali Murat <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: converting a string variable that has leading and embedded blanks to a numeric variable.
Date   Tue, 8 Feb 2005 20:33:02 +0200

Hello all,

I  am trying to convert a string household indentification variable
,that has leading and embedded blanks,  to a numeric one. When I used
the destring command, the new numeric household identification number
has no longer unique values due to leading and embedded blanks in the
orıginal  string household identification variable. To be more
precise,  I would like to document what I have done so far:

gen newhhid=hhid

destring newhhid, replace ignore(" ")

sort newid

l hhid newhhid

Obsnumber  hhid     newhhid

 161. |         21 1       211 |

 162. |         21 2       212 |

 163. |          212       212 |

 164. |          213       213 |

 165. |         21 3       213 |

 166. |          214       214 |

 167. |         21 4       214 |

Please note that the observation 162 and 163 have a distinct hhid; the
fist has an embedded blankd, the second has a leading blank. However,
after using the destring command, they have same hhid number.

How can I fix this problem.

Thank you all for your kind concern and help.

Best regards.

Ali M. Berker