st: RE: Query on -set seed-

From   "David Harrison" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Query on -set seed-
Date   Tue, 8 Feb 2005 09:17:30 -0000

I can't say if anything has changed since last summer as my executable is still on the 23 Jul 2004 version (trying to find a convenient time for everyone on the network license to update...), but I can tell how Stata (in this executable at least) deals with "illegally high" seeds...

The first argument of the KISS generator is updated mod 2^32 - so if you give -set seed- an argument greater than or equal to 2^32, this is just treated mod 2^32. In your case:

. set seed 4753533809

. di c(seed)
Xe0dcdff5c43f462544a474abacbdd93d062c

. set seed `=4753533809-2^32'

. di c(seed)
Xe0dcdff5c43f462544a474abacbdd93d062c

This still leaves a bit of a hole from 2^31 to 2^32-1. Any argument # in this range is treated as 2^32-#, for example:

. set seed 3000000000

. di c(seed)
Xfb7d4374c43f462544a474abacbdd93d0a9a

. set seed `=2^32-3000000000'

. di c(seed)
Xfb7d4374c43f462544a474abacbdd93d0a9a

None of this explains why the output of your do-file has changed. Have you tried rerunning the do-file twice? Does it give the same results both times? Have you tried running it twice with a lower ("legal") seed? Some procedures just do not seem to be reproducible...

Hope this helps

David
[email protected]