Re: st: Newbie: Case selection problem

From   David Kantor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Newbie: Case selection problem
Date   Mon, 07 Feb 2005 09:14:35 -0500

This is a different problem. How many possible combinations of k potential diagnoses are there?

The answer is 2^k, and there is a natural (one-to-one) mapping from these combinations to the integers from 0 to 2^k -1. But if k is large, then how do you name all the combinations? You may be stuck with just using the resulting integer.

First, you need to have your diag values to be in a small range of non-negative integers, such as 0-k (with minimal gaps in this range). If they already are in such a form, okay. Else, you need to map them (one-to-one) into such a set of integers. (If your diag values are string, you can -encode- them and use the encoded values.)

Next, suppose that diag is that variable (or a one derived by an appropriate mapping).

summ diag
local diagmax = r(max) // get the maximal value (corresponds to k in the above)
assert r(min) >=0 // we really don't want any negatives

sort personid
forvalues n = 0 / `diagmax' {
egen byte hasdiag`n' = max(diag==`n'), by(personid)
}
/* That is like what I wrote in the previous reply -- but compacted under a -forvalues-. */

/* At this point you can condense to one observation per person; this is optional. */
bysort personid: keep if _n==1

/* Generate the identifier of all combinations. */
gen long combination = 0
forvalues n = 0 / `diagmax' {
replace combination = combination + 2^`n' if hasdiag`n'
}

----
There may be other (better) ways to express that computation.
Also, be warned, I have not tested this.
And, if `diagmax' is large, you may need double rather than long -- for the type of combination.

If this has been done correctly, then each value of combination should uniquely correspond to a distinct combination of diag values. The correspondence is that for each diag value of n, that diag value is present if and only if there is a 1 in the nth bit of the binary representation of combination (counting from the right, starting with 0) -- but only when represented as an integer (not float or double).

----
Again, I hope this helps.