st: RE: Hosmer-Lemeshow statistic

From   Laurel Copeland <>
Subject   st: RE: Hosmer-Lemeshow statistic
Date   Sun, 06 Feb 2005 11:36:31 -0600

I don't have that but I have this input from a UM statistician: "... and
also in a book by Paul D. Allison "Logistic Regression Using the SAS
System", 1999, published by SAS Institute. The Hosmer and Lemeshow book is a
great overall reference on Logistic Regression.  The Allison book gives some
cautions about using the H-L test when you have continuous covariates, and
not many people in each of the groups that is formed by unique combinations
of the predictor variables...." and related websites:
Frank Harrell -
Stata extlogit -
Not sure this will help you.
Laurel Copeland
San Antonio VA

-----Original Message-----
From: Ricardo Ovaldia []
Sent: Sunday, February 06, 2005 11:15 AM
Subject: st: Hosmer-Lemeshow statistic

Dear all,

I though that some years back there was a posting
regarding criticism of the Hosmer-Lemeshow GOF
statistic. After a frustrating and unsuccessful search
through the archives and FAQ, I am writing to the list
to see if anyone recalls the criticisms or can point
me to a source with this information.

Thank you in advance,

Ricardo Ovaldia, MS
Oklahoma City, OK